Moving to a new home can be an overwhelming process. From the planning stage to the execution of your move, there are a lot of moving parts you have to juggle. That’s where having a trusted moving and storage company on your side comes in handy.
Since the 1970s, Courtesy Moving & Storage has been that company for Fresno residents. And as your trusted movers, we want to make sure you’re armed with all the information you need to make your relocation a breeze.
There are plenty of steps you can take to make your move more affordable, but these are definitely some of the easiest. In this article, we’ll be discussing the top 5 ways you can cut costs on your upcoming move:
- Selling/Donating Unwanted Belongings
- Using Household Items as Packing Materials
- Utilizing Reusable Moving Materials
- Consolidating Items to One Pick-Up Spot
- Working with a Moving Company You Trust
1. Sell or Donate Unwanted Items & Food
As soon as you start packing, you’re going to realize how much stuff you have. More importantly, you’re going to realize how much of it you don’t really need. Moving is a perfect time to downsize and refine your possessions. On top of clearing up space in your life, it will help you save on packing and transportation costs.
There are a handful of things you can do to get rid of these items:
- Have a Garage/Yard Sale
- Donate/Sell Items to Friends & Family
- Drop Items Off at a Local Charity
- Donate Non-Perishables to Local Food Drives
2. Make Use of Household Fabrics for Packing Materials
Protecting your belongings is a must during a move, which means you have to consider what you’ll need to pack and store your items safely for the journey. Instead of buying a bunch of moving materials, turn to fabrics around your home for padding. Some common items you can use include:
- Thick Clothing
3. Utilize Reusable Moving Supplies
Beyond using your own things for packing materials, you can reach out to your hired movers to see if they offer reusable moving materials that you can use. Most moving companies will let you use these at no cost or for reduced prices. From boxes to moving pads, you can get it all without any extra hassle.
4. Consolidate Your Items in Storage
Prior to a move, you likely have some items already in storage. While most moving companies have no problem making stops to pick your belongings up, the extra stops will tack on additional labor and transportation costs. So, if it’s feasible for you, consider getting everything to one pick-up location.
5. Work with Movers You Can Trust
Finally, do your research and choose residential movers that you can trust with every aspect of your upcoming move. Your first thought may be to go for the least expensive option, but this can end up costing you more in the long run. Instead, look at reviews, learn about their services, and schedule appointments until find the right fit.
At Courtesy Moving & Storage, we make this process easy for you. We’re proud to be movers with the ATA Moving & Storage Conference as well as a BBB-accredited and A+ rated business. If our stellar reputation isn’t enough to sway you, you can also schedule a FREE, no-obligation consultation to learn about our services and receive an accurate estimate.
Speaking of our services, you can count on us to offer:
- Full-Service OR Fragile-Only Packing
- Custom Crating Options for Special Items
- Secure Vehicle & Piano Shipping
- Free Stretch Wrapping for Furniture, Floors, & Doorways
- Reliable Online Shipment Tracking
- Comprehensive Valuation Insurance Options
- Short- and Long-Term Storage Capabilities
- Convenient Inventory Management System
…And additional third-party services!
Give our long-distance movers a call or fill out our online form to get started today!
Subscribe to Courtesy Moving & Storage's Blog